I had that moment of helplessness today. Every year around this time, my organisation conducts its annual staff appraisal exercise. The section heads would meet to rank the staff in terms of potential and performance. Each head would be armed with his staff's achievements and "fight" it out in the exercise.
I was away for another meeting. When I went back to office in the afternoon, my boss told me he was having a headache after the ranking exercise. He told me that he had ranking exercise in the morning. I was flabbergasted. I did not even submit my list of achievements to him. He told me no need as the other section heads knew what I was doing. Arghh... he did not even bother to get the list from me and went into the exercise "unarmed". I could only feel helpless. There is nothing I can do. When the man is not fighting for you, there is very little I can do.
I was in another meeting in the late afternoon. It was about a project that I was handling. The vendor project manager and my IT project manager could not see eye to eye on most things. Both women got very strong personalities. Each had its fair share of strength that was an invaluable asset to the project. Each played a important role in the project. There I am, belonging to the user team, stuck in the helpless dilemma. It was a stumbling block to the whole project. The quick and easy way was to arrange a meeting to flush the problem out of the system and get the system going again. However, it might not solve the root of the problem. The last resort was to replace one person as the chinese saying " One mountain cannot have two tigress". Yet, it presented a problem to the user team. "Who should we choose?" We were in a situation that we needed to do something fast. Failing which, the project would be crippled. Either way, we were trapped in a helpless situation.
In life, there are moments when you feel helpless like spiderman who lost his power and regain them in Spiderman II. Like Lynn says, think positive and the problem will resolve by itself. If not now, it will eventually. : )
Monday, September 20, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment